You are here
John Murphy, Ph.D.
- Group: Rare Disease Research
- Location: Cambridge
- LinkedIn page URL:
I have been with Cheladv74 since 2013. I currently lead the Discovery Biology Group in Rare Disease Research. The Discovery Biology group works across different modalities (small molecule, antibody and gene therapy) to identify transformative medicines for patients with rare genetic disease. Our specific focus is on non-malignant hematology, neuromuscular diseases and neurodegenerative diseases.
I have a BA in Biology from Brown University, a PhD in Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics from Columbia University, where I studied retroviral replication in Dr. Steve Goff’s lab. I was a Damon Runyon Post-doctoral fellow in Harold Varmus’ lab at UCSF.
After finishing my post-doctoral fellowship I worked on viral and non-viral gene therapy at Chiron Corporation. I then spent 15 years at Bayer in various positions, including Process Sciences and leading a large group focused on large molecule discovery for non-malignant hematology.
I discovered the kit oncogene. I am an inventor of Jivi, a marketed third generation FVIII product for treatment of hemophilia. At Cheladv74 I have played key roles in developing our gene therapy collaborations with Spark, Bamboo and Sangamo.
As discussed above the team is modality agnostic working on small molecules, genetic medicines and antibodies. Our specific areas of focus are hemophilia, sickle cell disease, beta-thalassemia, DMD, Friedreich’s Ataxia, Myotonic Dystrophy, ALS and Huntington’s Disease.
- Cardinal M, Kantaridis C, Zhu T, Sun P, Pittman DD, Murphy JE, and Arkin S (2018) A First-in-Human Study of the Safety, Tolerability, Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of PF-06741086, an anti-TFPI Monoclonal Antibody, in Healthy Volunteers. J Thromb Haemost. 2018 Sep;16(9):1722-1731.
- Parng, C, Singh P, Pitman DD, Wright K, Leary B, Patel-Hett S, Rahke S, Stejskal J, Pereza M, Dufeld D, Murphy JE, Webster R (2018) Translation Pharmacokinetic/Pharmacodynamic Characterization and Target-Mediated Drug Disposition Modeling of an Anti-Tissue Factor Pathway Inhibitor Antibody, PF-06741016. J Pharm Sci. 2018 Jul;107(7):1995-2004
- Jin Y, Yegneswaran S, Gu J-M, Gritzan U, Schönfeld DL, Paz P, Patel C, Dittmer F, Shreath M, Bringmann P, Kauser K, Myles T, Murphy JE and. Hermiston TW (2015) Probing the functional role of Antithrombin III ß in coagulation by a conformation specific antibody. J Thromb Haemost. 14:356-365
- Leong L, Sim D, Patel C, Tran K, Liu P, Ho E, Thompson T, Kretschmer PJ, Wakabayashi H, Fay PJ, Murphy JE (2014). Noncovalent stabilization of the factor VIII A2 domain enhances efficacy in hemophilia A mouse vascular bleeding models. Blood. 125:392-398
- Gu JM, Ramsey P, Evans V, Tang L, Apeler H, Leong L, Murphy JE, Laux V, Myles T (2014) Evaluation of the activated partial thromboplastin time assay for clinical monitoring of PEGylated recombinant factor VIII (BAY 94-9027) for haemophilia A. Haemophilia. Jul;20(4):593-600.
- Brooks, A., Sim,D., Gritzan, U., Patel, C., Feldman, R.I., Tang, L., Zhao, X_Y., Blasko, E., Ho E., Murphy J.E., (2013) Glycoengineered Factor IX Variants with Improved Pharmacokinetics and Subcutaneous Efficacy in Mice. J Thromb Haemost. Sep;11(9):1699-706
- Tang, L., Leong, L., Sim, D., Ho, E., Gu, J., Schneider, D., Feldman, R.L., Monteclaro, F., Jiang, H., Murphy, J.E., (2013) vWF Contributes to Longer Half-Life of PEGylated Factor VIII in vivo. Haemophilia. Jul;19(4):539-45.
- Mei, B., Pan, C., Jiang, H., Tjandra, H., Strauss, J., Chen, Y., Liu, T., Zhang, X., Severs, J., Newgren, J., Chen, J., Gu, J., Subramanyam, B., Fournel, M.A., Pierce, G.F., Murphy, J.E. (2010) Rational design of a fully active, long acting PEGylated factor VIII for hemophilia A treatment. Blood Jul 15;116(2):270-9. Epub 2010 Mar 1,
University of California San Francisco, Postdoctoral Fellow, 1990-1994
Columbia University, Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, PhD., 1990
Brown University, Biology, BA 1981